I’m not ready for today to be the last day of 2014; honestly, I don’t know how the year disappeared so fast. But, since tomorrow will begin a new year, I figured a little introspection was in order.
I don’t normally like to make a big hubbub about New Year’s resolutions, mainly because I don’t make them. I’m more of a short-term and long-term goals kind of girl. Sometimes they get written down, sometimes they don’t.
That being said, I can’t tell you what I was thinking about this time last year (two years ago, I was suffering through the aftereffects of mutant strep throat, so I wasn’t thinking about much). But I can tell you what I managed to accomplish.
In February, I founded a YA critique group. We’re still going strong!
In April, I made the decision to indie publish my first novel. My goal was to get it out into the world in December, but I underestimated how long the process would take. So I guess I get to carry this goal over into 2015…huzzah!
In August, I found a new job, which has its ups and downs.
In September, I dumped the guy I always (not literally always, but you get the idea) thought I wanted to be with. Best. Decision. Eva. (And yes, I’m counting this as an accomplishment, and if you knew all the details of this, you would as well).
In October, I closed on my condo. MY FIRST PLACE. YAY ADULTHOOD.
In December, I was able to unveil the cover of Stones, which was some very exciting stuff. I was also able to turn 26 with minimal fuss and no quarter-life crisis breakdowns.
Those are the highlights of 2014…now we can proceed to goals for 2015!
Here’s the most obvious one: publish Stones and Finger Bones. This will be happening in February! I am thinking it will be ready to go by Valentine’s Day weekend, but I’m not releasing a specific date until I get the bugger formatted.
The rest of my goals are going to be broken down in categories for easy reference and so I can make lists. I love lists.
Overall Heath & Wellness:
- Continue making better food choices
- Choose and start taking a vitamin D supplement
- Stop tolerating sucky people
- Stop vehemently loathing work (yes, it takes away valuable time that could be used for writing or trolling the internet, but I have a mortgage to pay)
- Paint master bedroom and bath
- Find a bookshelf for room
- Bring all books from home to new home
Reading, Writing, & Publishing:
- Finish 25 books. I know this might seem like a low number to some, but I’ve been really slacking on my reading habits. I don’t think I even finished 10 this year, which is terrible!
- Do a better job of tracking these books, probably utilizing Goodreads
- Choose these books from the collection I already own and make list
- Write at least 5,000 new words per month. I think this goal will complement my writing style better than daily or weekly goals, since I tend to write in fits and starts, and some days are more productive than others.
- Outline book 2 of the Black Towers sequence (I think I need to be more diligent with outlining this one to make sure threads are being resolved, tangled, or cut as appropriate)
- Draft a Black Towers novella
- Participate in bloggy activities. Blog more in general. Let’s aim for at least twice a month!
And there be my goals! Mostly manageable, I think. I probably won’t be officially publishing anything else in 2015…but never say never! This, of course, depends on how fast I get things drafted, polished, edited, and all that jazz. If anything, I can aim for publishing the novella at the end of the year, but I’m not going to make than an official goal…yet. 😉
Happy New Year, minions!
2 thoughts on “Goal Setting (Or, Stuff Jessica Fails Miserably At)”
Great goals. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you as well, Allie!